HFM have introduced a new LOVE LOCAL fresh section in their stores. It's their way of supporting the growing Australian local food movement. Some of their reasons for buying local are:
- It's good for your tastebuds. When it has travelled for only a few hours, it's much fresher and tastes better.
- It's good for our local growers. Buying local, you'll ensure a fair price for local producers and help them to continue to grow locally.
- It's good for our environment. It helps reduce your carbon footprint as less fuel is required to transport your food.
- It's good for your community. It helps to keep food dollars in your local community and contributes to the overall health of that community.
- It's good for agricultural diversity. Small local farmers grow the more flavour driven and often fragile varieties which do not travel well over long distances.
We need to support our famers too to help ensure they are not squeezed by big supermarkets and 'middle-men' and can continue to provide fresh food for our needs, our families and their families.
Many suburbs are now establishing community gardens. This is another way to enjoy growing and sourcing fresh vegetables.
ENJOY EATING FRESH and BUYING LOCAL!